Supporting Separated Families through Conflict Resolution
Separation and divorce can be difficult for families, particularly when it comes to co-parenting and resolving disputes. This is where a parenting coordinator can be incredibly helpful. But what exactly is a parenting coordinator, and how can they support separated families?
What is a Parenting Coordinator?
A parenting coordinator is a neutral third-party who is trained in conflict resolution and is appointed by the court or agreed upon by the separating parents. The role of the parenting coordinator is to assist separated families in resolving conflicts related to parenting issues, such as scheduling, decision-making, and communication. Parenting coordinators are often mental health professionals, such as psychologists or social workers, and are trained in mediation, therapy, and alternative dispute resolution.
How Can a Parenting Coordinator Support Separated Families?
A parenting coordinator can support separated families in several ways, including:
- Mediating disputes between parents and facilitating communication
- Assisting with decision-making and problem-solving related to parenting issues
- Providing guidance and support to help parents implement a court-ordered parenting plan
- Reducing the need for court involvement, which can be costly and time-consuming
- Improving the relationship between parents and reducing the emotional toll on children
- Arbitrate issues that are not agreed upon. This means that the parenting coordinator can make binding decisions about unresolved parenting issues
According to the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC) Ontario, parenting coordination can also help separated families “maintain stable and predictable relationships for their children and reduce the negative effects of conflict on children.”
Reflection Centre: Supporting Separated Families through Parenting Coordination
At Reflection Centre, we understand the challenges that separated families face and the importance of finding practical and effective solutions to resolve conflicts. Some of our team of experienced therapists is trained in conflict resolution and parenting coordination and can provide the support and guidance families need to navigate the difficult and complex issues of separation and divorce.
Find out if parenting coordination can be a valuable resource for your family if you are looking for support in resolving conflicts related to parenting issues. Contact us today.