A lot of us have short and long-term goals for ourselves but have no idea where to start. When not met with an immediate positive reinforcer, as humans we tend to give up a task or pull back. For example, this is why committing to a gym membership is so hard for many; when we are not met with an immediate change in our body shape/size (if this is your goal when attending the gym), it is not as reinforcing and hence reduces the likelihood we will go back to the gym. In this blog post, the objective is to provide you with some information and tips on
how to set effective goals and increase motivation.
When creating goals for yourself, reflect upon the following statement and questions:
- Wanting to have vs. wanting to be
- I can’t vs. I can try
- How much do you want this outcome?
- What will you gain? What will you lose?
How To Set Effective (SMART) Goals:
Break it down!
A SMART goal is an effective goal setting tool that helps to provide clarity, focus, and motivation as it relates to achieving your goal.
S – Specific: What needs to be accomplished?
M – Measurable: How will you track and measure progress?
A – Achievable: Is this realistic for you?
R – Relevant: Why are you setting this goal?
T – Time-Oriented: What is the time frame to complete your goal?
Tips To Consider:
- Celebrate and reward yourself of all progress, even the smallest improvements!
- Review and revise your goals on an ongoing basis.
- Set new goals for yourself.
- Ask for support- from your counsellor, a friend, or a family member in helping you stay motivated and accountable.
- Create reminders on your technological devices to keep you on track.
- Create a vision board or visual schedule that will support you.
- Surround yourself with individuals who uplift and positively influence you.
- Watch documentaries, listen to podcasts, or read books involving motivation (see below for a few recommendations).
- Don’t be hard on yourself. If you are finding it difficult to accomplish them, revisit the SMART components and adjust as needed.
Looking for further help setting goals or improving motivation? Contact us today!